Monday, August 30, 2010

This Way, Then That, Gets You Lost

Lately, I find myself straddling a screenwriting fence.  Not a good thing.

On the one side is my rewrite of my third script (People Who Kill).  It doesn't quite need a full "page one" style scrubbing... but close.   I'm actually looking forward to revisiting my characters from that story.  Two in particular really need to be fleshed out from the first draft (mainly because, as will happen, a character became a much larger part of the story than originally thought).

Having just been asked today to give a friend one of my scripts (she'd like to read one), made me think, time to get that second draft done!

On the other side of this mental divide is a new script.  A short film that I expect to run about 32 pages. 

New is fun.  Plus a new script fits right into my testing of new screenwriting software (Movie Outline).  I always enjoy the challenge of working with new tools especially if I think they'll add some real value to my writing as this one seems to promise.    And then there's the "finish line," a mere 32 pages away (I think I can see it off in the distance).  Tempting to shoot for.

So here's the rub.  I've become unfocused.  My "random story/script thoughts" (those brilliant ideas I get while in the shower or standing at a public urinal) are less frequent.   And they don't seem to have the same "juice" when they do pop up.

And did I mention that I've got a fourth script in rough outline form, sitting in my PC, tapping its foot, waiting for me?

So I think I've got to commit to working on one or the other and just finishing it.   Let one wait.  It won't go anywhere without me.

Which one, you ask?

Why People Who Kill, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment